Friday, April 13, 2012

You're My Everything: Surprise Parent Dances

As the final notes of our first dance song waned down, Mr. Snow Cone swapped positions with my dad and we went right into the father-daughter dance.  I was really looking forward to this part of the evening, because I had no idea what song my dad had selected for this symbolic dance.  As my dad strode out to meet me on the dance floor, the DJ announced that we'd be dancing to "You'll Be in My Heart" from Disney's Tarzan.  

Immediately, I was smitten.  My family is populated with Disney-lovers, but I like to think I take the cake in my adoration for all things Mickey Mouse.  On top of that, my dad and I have had a special Disney bond since I was a wee little tot.  I don't remember it, but apparently my dad proved to be quite the softie when it came to Disney souvenirs for me when I was very young.  On my first trip for Disney, he made a last-minute trip to a gift shop to purchase a ceramic music box figurine so I'd have something from my first trip there.  A few years later, I, according to my parents, lusted hard after a full-blown Minnie Mouse costume.  Apparently all it took was one set of pleading eyes directed at my father, and I was the proud owner of the beloved garment.  So, when you take all of that into consideration, dancing to a Disney song that had a completely perfect father-daughter sentiment was only fitting.

His first words to me when he swept me up into his arms?  He asked to make sure I was OK from my fall.  Whatta guy. Once that was covered, we shared a really sweet dance that I can't think of without getting teary-eyed.  It was fun and light-hearted, but with the appropriate amount of sentimentality.

 
Come stop your crying, it will be alright.
Just take my hand, hold it tight.
I will protect from all around you,
I will be here, don't you cry.

For one so small, you seem so strong.
My arms will hold you. keep you safe and warm.
This bond between us can't be broken,
I will be here, don't you cry.

One of my favorite photos of the whole day
'Cause you'll be in my heart.
Yes, you'll be in my heart.
From this day on, now and forever more.
You'll be in my heart, no matter what they say.
You'll be here in my heart, always.

Why can't they understand the way we feel?
They just don't trust what they can't explain.
  I know we're different but, deep inside us, we're not that different at all.
And you'll be in my heart.
Yes, you'll be in my heart.
From this day on, now and forever more.

Don't listen to them, 'cause what do they know?
We need each other, to have, to hold.
They'll see, in time, I know.
 
When destiny calls you, you must be strong.
'Cause I may not be with you, but you've got to hold on.
They'll see in time, I know.
We'll show them together.

'Cause you'll be in my heart, yes, you'll be in my heart.
From this day on, now and forever more.
Oh, you'll be in my heart, no matter what they say.
You'll be in my heart, always.  

Just look over your shoulder, I'll be there for you always.

Mr. Snow Cone and his mom took to the dance floor, dancing to Frank Sinatra's "Too Marvelous for Words."  After hearing about my dad's decision to pick a surprise song, MIL Snow Cone decided to take the same route, so this song selection was a surprise for Mr. Snow Cone.

You're just too marvelous, too marvelous for words.
Like "glorious," "glamorous," and that old standby "amorous."
It's all too wonderful, I'll never find the words.
That say enough, tell enough, I mean they just aren't swell enough.
You're much too much, and just too "very, very" to ever be in Webster's Dictionary.
And so I'm borrowing a love song from the birds
To tell you that you're marvelous - too marvelous for words.
At the conclusion of the song, the DJ surprised everyone by playing a message MIL Snow Cone had left on his answering machine, listing her song selection and discussing her love for her son.  In her words, he was the best accident she ever had.  Cue uproarious laughter.


All photos by the amazing Christina Garber

No comments:

Post a Comment