Tuesday, May 1, 2012

You're My Everything: Forgotten Details

As our final song ended, the lights came up, and our guests started to grab their purses, jackets, and shoes from their respective tables.  Before I could even wrap my head around what was happening, the only souls left at Sunnehanna were us, our parents, and a smattering of siblings and bridal party members.  Prior to the wedding, we hadn't arranged any sort of fancy-schmancy send-off, as I wasn't really interested in organizing another detail like a vintage car to whisk away to newlywed bliss.  I assumed that we'd manage to wrangle some spots in a car headed down to our hotel without issue.

Fortunately, that turned out to be true.  Mr. Snow Cone and I, and an errant abandoned groomsman, squeezed into the backseat of Mr. Snow Cone's parents' SUV.  On the one hand, it was nice to just sit and let myself unwind for a few moments.  On the other hand, this makeshift plan definitely had some flaws.  Namely, while we were sitting and waiting to be dropped off at the hotel, our parents and the venue staff were making a few dozen trips from the ballroom to the SUV, toting decor, gifts, and cards.  As a result, we probably spent the better part of an hour idly waiting.  Sure, we were able to capitalize on a free ride, but the actual mechanics of hopping into a parent's car and scooting away were a bit flawed.  If I had to do it again, I'd probably appoint someone specific to be available at a certain time to drop us off, allowing us to operate on a more independent time table.  By the time we made it down to the hotel, a relatively impromptu after party had begun.  I think Mr. Snow Cone and I were open to the possibility of joining our friends at the bar, but we were so totally exhausted that the allure of sleep was far more appealing than the allure of more standing and socializing.  We skipped the party and headed up to our room to shower and call it a night.

Once we arrived in the room, all I wanted to do was get out of my tight dress and wash my hair.  I quickly realized, though, that plan would be hard to accomplish, as I had forgotten shampoo, conditioner, and a comb for myself.  So, I decided to make-do and used Mr. Snow Cone's manly-scented shower stuff and then spent what felt like an eternity combing through my crazy post-updo hair with one of those combs they hand out on picture day in elementary school.  Not my finest moment.

The next morning, I woke up totally refreshed.  We lazily recounted our favorite moments from the previous evening and changed our relationship status on Facebook.  Finally, we decided it was time to pack up and head back to my parents' house for a send-off brunch.  And that's when I realized that not only had I neglected to pack my shampoo and conditioner, but I also forgot some other essentials like a pair of shoes and a bra.  So, I did what any newlywed, mature young woman would do, and walked through the lobby of the hotel barefoot, clutching my crumpled up wedding gown to my torso to hide my lack of undergarments from any curious observers.  Classy.


All of this is to serve as a cautionary tale to brides-to-be: don't assume the planning responsibilities are done once the reception is underway.  Do yourself a favor and map out how you're getting to your wedding night destination and what supplies you'll need.

What oversight did you make while wedding planning?

You’re My Everything: Dancing the Night Away :  wedding pictures pittsburgh pro pics recap Snowco Snow+Co

No comments:

Post a Comment