Monday, April 4, 2011

Putting our own spin on seating

Given that our reception seating assignments are being communicated in a somewhat unusual manner, and that our own seating is a bit unexpected, too, it really only makes sense to complete the wonky seating trifecta, and use nontraditional table numbers.  This is one of those ideas that I came across years ago and mentally filed away.  I loved seeing pictures of themed table numbers (or names), showing off the couples' hobbies, favorite foods, or travel histories.

Image via Wedding by Color
 

I sat down at my computer one afternoon and started listing off all the places Mr. Snow Cone and I have traveled over our 8+ years of dating.  I ended up with a far lower number of destinations than I had anticipated, and I was 100% certain I didn't have enough for each table at our reception.  On to plan b!

I then started listing important dates, and that turned out to be even more of a bust than vacation spots.  I even fudged it a bit and included important numbers, figuring they would kind of mesh in with dates, and that only gave me a moderate boost.  I was all set to scrap the idea and go for traditional table numbers, but then we just decided to throw the two different lists together to get a decent set of options.  As a result, we'll have tables named after important addresses, cities, dates, and a few other random odds and ends.  It may not be the most cohesive set of table numbers in the history of weddings, but it will definitely be reflective of us and our time spent together!

I'm planning to use some colored cardstock to whip together these numbers, including the table name/number, and its significance.  Depending on how everything shakes out, I'm hoping to include photos of us from these various places/chapters of life on as many table cards as possible, too. Here's a sample of our list of options:
  • September 18, 2002: the day we started dating
  • April 9, 2010: the day we got engaged
  • Outer Banks, NC: vacation of summer 2005
  • Bahamas: spring break cruise of March 2010
  • 715: the number of our first apartment together
  • Charleston, SC: our honeymoon destination
Are you doing nontraditional table numbers?  What are you using to replace the standard numbers?

1 comment:

  1. I have hardly even thought about wedding numbers! Seriously, I don't even know where to start... Sigh. Thanks for remind me! I would've showed up to my wedding and not have known where to sit haha.

    ReplyDelete