Sunday, July 3, 2011

I was hiding under your porch because I love you.

We're starting to get into crunch time, which means that miniscule details are starting to make their way to the top of the to-do list.  One such example is the card box.  I considered a few different options that are pretty standard at weddings nowadays, like the fabric- or paper-covered box and the birdcage.  I wasn't interested in buying something that screamed "wedding" and would be an antiquated relic mere hours after our vows; I also wasn't interested in crafting something that would require a lot of time, energy, or skill.  In addition to knowing what I didn't want, I knew that I'd like to use the card box as an opportunity to infuse some fun, color, and personality.

After stalling on this decision for quite some time, I finally realized that there was one option I really wanted; I had seen a creative idea from Mrs. Lioness and couldn't get it out of my head -- the mailbox from Disney's Up!  

Image via Pixar Wiki / Credit: Disney

For those of you who aren't familiar with this movie, here's the important info.  Carl and Ellie, as seen above, are husband and wife and completely committed to each other.  They have a long-term dream to visit South America, but their dream keeps getting tabled because of more immediate needs and expenses that life presents.  Carl finally decides that enough is enough, and in a burst of spontaneity, buys two tickets to South America for himself and his beloved.  Before he can reveal his surprise, Ellie falls ill and never recovers, leaving Carl alone with a never-achieved dream and a broken heart.  

(I know it sounds like a downer, but all of this unfolds in the first few minutes, setting up a completely precious and hilarious story where Carl decides that he owes it to Ellie's memory to make the trek to South America, choosing to take a rather nontraditional approach.)

Anyhow, one of the cutesy scenes in the beginning of the movie features Carl and Ellie painting their new home's mailbox.  The plan is to just put their names on it, but Carl accidentally puts his paint-covered hand on the mailbox, resulting in an errant hand print.  While he's concerned he's ruined the project, Ellie doesn't bat an eye before slapping her own hand print on the mailbox, too.  The project itself is quite charming, but the symbolism of togetherness, problem-solving, and undying love is even more appealing to me.  So, in about 20 seconds, I talked Mr. Snow Cone into creating our own version of this mailbox for our wedding card box.  I went ahead and purchased a white mailbox and some basic acrylic paints in our wedding colors.  A few days later, we got to work, and here's the finished product!

Personal Photo

I'm really, really pleased with how it turned out!  As a Disney-phile, I'm geeking out over having a movie reference at our wedding, but I'm also quite smitten with what it represents as we move forward with our lives together.  And, just for kicks and giggles, here's my favorite quote from the movie, which I think it particularly relevant in the scope of marriage and wedding planning: That might sound boring, but I think the boring stuff is the stuff I remember the most.
What wedding detail are you the most excited to see put into action on your big day?

2 comments:

  1. I remember that post and I saved it to my wedding faves. We will do something like this. Probably just to have and not have anything to do with the wedding.

    ReplyDelete