Monday, March 21, 2011

Neil Diamond shakes it like a Polaroid picture

Right now, we're kind of in that awkward in-between wedding planning phase.  The bulk of what's left to be done is detail-oriented, so it's easy to push it off and deal with it at a later point in time.  We're also a few weeks out from another wedding planning extravaganza weekend in Johnstown, so there's little impetus to figure out exactly what needs to be on the agenda for this series of vendor meetings.  As a consequence, little planning has been done, but a great deal of thinking has been done. Specifically, I've been mentally tabulating some "must play" songs for our reception. 

For a good number of years now, I've had three songs that always put a smile on my face and make me want to dance.  It seems like nothing more than common sense that these three should work their way into our wedding reception song list.

Song 1: "Hey Ya" by Outkast - I have a firm belief that it's impossible to NOT sing along and "shake it like a Polaroid picture" when this song comes on.

Song 2: "Don't Stop Me Now" by Queen - I heard this song for the first time at the end of my brother's wedding reception and it quickly became a personal favorite.  Every single time I hear it, I immediately remember the pure fun in the room at the reception, and I definitely want a similar memory at my own wedding.

Song 3: "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston - Who doesn't want to dance with somebody when this 80s jam comes on?  The dramatic key change in the middle of the song gets me every time.  Love me some Whitney.


Now, I know what you're probably thinking.  These are 3 of my favorite times, but what about GG?  Shouldn't he get a say in the reception music, too? 

So far, the only song that is a complete and total, undeniable, MUST have is Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline."

Aside from being an awesome song that everyone enjoys, it's also kind of a big deal here in Pittsburgh.  During every home football game, at the start of the 4th quarter, the stadium plays "Sweet Caroline" and thousands upon thousands of Pitt fans link arms, sing along, and just get pretty amped in general.  When the song gets played at Heinz Field, the traditional "bum bum bummm" gets heartily replaced by a "Let's Go Pitt!"  GG loves Pitt sports, and there will be a sizeable Pitt contingent at the wedding, so I'm more than certain that some raucous "Let's Go Pitt!" cheers will be booming through our reception space that evening.


I figure that these four songs, among others, should get the dance floor pretty packed, which is exactly what I want to see on that night.


What are some songs on your "must play" list for your reception?

1 comment: